Monday, March 11, 2013

A bajillion sorrys to my Mom

I had quite the chip on my shoulder towards my parents when I was younger.  Pretty much the whole time I was younger.  And by "parents", of course, mostly I mean my mother.  I really HATED to be forced to do things that I didn't want to do.  Like go to family's house for special occasions or holidays.  Go to the grocery store.  School functions.  You name it.  If it didn't involve my very own plan of going to hang out with my very own friends I had no interest, and by God, she was going to pay for it!  I really had no regard whatsoever that my parents had NO CHOICE but to bring me wherever they went.  I didn't care at all.

Ugh.  What a horrible child I was.  Like my friend Andrea says about her own childhood, "what was I so angry about?!"  LOL.  Seriously.  No idea.

I deal with this very issue now with my darling Liam.  I don't know if it's just the too-cool-for-the-world stage but the kid gives me grief to do anything that does not involve staying home and hanging out with Sean.  It's tough.  A very typical conversation:

Me:  so guys, there's this cool planetarium show tonight that I wanted to bring you guys to.  what do you think?
Jillian:  YAY!  that sounds so cool!!  let's go!!
Liam:  ~~ crickets chirping, blank stare ~~  no.

He looks a little bit like grumpy cat:



[insert almost any situation here] and it's the same reaction.  Once I endure all the whining and complaining and once we're actually there he settles down and will usually enjoy himself.  Unlike me.  I would keep my sour face on the WHOLE time and my mother had to pay for it the WHOLE time.  Ugh.  And never once did she beat me.  I just don't know how she did it.  Actually, I just don't know if there are enough sorrys in the world...

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately Liam will have to live with that too when he is older and wishes he could take it back :(. Must be a part of growing up.

    ReplyDelete