Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Kindle

So I went out and got myself a Kindle for my birthday.  No, don't look at your calendars, it's not actually my birthday yet.  However, it was on sale NOW so I decided to buy it now.  Don't worry, you still have time to send me a present.  Hey, I have an idea, some accessories for my new Kindle!

Anyone that knows me knows that I don't actually read all that much.  The last book I read was Dr. Phil's Relationship Rescue, when Joe and I were doing some DIY therapy, well over a year ago.  And before that, I couldn't even tell you.  I remember reading a lot of parenting books when I was pregnant.  With Liam.  9 years ago.  So yeah, why the heck would I buy an e-reader you ask?  Well, mostly because I am SO SICK OF TV!!  As you can tell, I know how to read.  And I'm actually pretty good at it.  I mean, just look at the perfect punctuation and grammar and superior sentence structure I use on this here blog.

And, of course, because I just don't have enough "gadgets" in my life.  Computers, Blackberry, iTouch, cameras, gaming consoles, TV's.  So, it was a natural progression really.  Joe tried to convince me to buy an iPad.  Um, no.  First of all, Kindle =$114, iPad =$500.  Hmmm, really?  Second, I will admit that I am an absolute Apple idiot.  I just don't get iTunes.  Honestly.  Joe used to download music to my iTouch because I just couldn't figure it out.  Since he moved out, I have not had one new song on it.  The one time I tried to sync my iTouch, I ended up deleting all the pics that were already on there and replacing them with more updated pics.  I have no idea how I did that.  But it wasn't my intention to delete all the old pics.  Whatever.

So the first book I downloaded was Tina Fey's Bossypants.  Her autobiography.  There's some funny stuff in there.  I was a fan of her on SNL but I really fell in love with her comedy on 30 Rock.  She's a comic genius.

In general, I find reading very boring.  Some people think it's relaxing, I guess it's that too.  My retention level is next to nothing.  The same as when I watch TV.  I can watch an episode of something at night and the next day someone will ask "Hey, did you watch [insert show name here]?  What did you think?"  And I swear it's like a hamster wheel spinning in my head trying to remember what the heck the episode was about.  But, at the time I watched it, I know I enjoyed it.  In one ear right out the other, the old saying goes.  But with reading, would you say "in one eye right out the other"?  So, anyway, I know I'm enjoying Bossypants because I have actually laughed out loud already and I'm only a few chapters in.  Plus, I've developed a little bit of a secret girl crush on her.  Apparently my TV crushes do not limit themselves to men.  I would totally have her babies (if she wasn't already pregnant and having her own babies, of course).

I also downloaded some free classics Amazon had.  The Count of Monte Cristo and The Time Machine.  I don't know where I was during 4 years of high school English but I never read either of those books.  And just because I downloaded them doesn't mean I'm going to read them either.  But I guess I can try to look smart sitting at Starbucks, pretending to read The Count of Monte Cristo, sipping a coffee, reading my Kindle.  I need to get some cute little Tina Fey reading glasses and order my drink under the name Ms. Bossypants.  Goodnight and have a pleasant tomorrow everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment