Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Who, me?

My friend Cathy came into town a few weeks ago.  We only see each other once every few years when she comes to FL to visit.  She lives in MA.  We're friends on Facebook.  We met at work and pretty much became instant friends over 15 years ago.  We used to party together a lot.  We used to be roommates.

So as we're talking she says to me "Deb, you're one of those people in my life that I've always thought about."  I said, REALLY?!  She says " Oh yeah.  I just wonder how you're doing and what your life turned out like.  And hope you're OK."  I was really taken aback by this.  You see, I don't think of myself as a person that OTHER people think about.  A person that has made an impact to OTHER people.  A person that OTHER people remember for their whole lives.  Of course, I mean outside of my immediate family.

She went on to tell me about all the ways that I am that she used to wish she was.  We reminisced about all the fun times we've had.  She was genuinely upset to hear about Joe and I (I hadn't told her).  She said "But no, it's YOU and JOE!  Like it's always been YOU and JOE!"  I said, "I know!  That's how I used to feel about us too."  She knew both of us before we even started dating.

I mean, tons of people come in and out of our lives.  I have people that I knew for years but if someone were to ask me "whatever happened to so and so" or "have to talked to so and so recently?" I couldn't even remember their name.  And trust me, it's happened to me.  My memory is SO BAD!

I suppose I have a few of those people in my life also.  Those people that I don't have tons of contact with but always seem to think about them.  How they are.  Where they are.  What are they doing?  It made me feel really special to know that I am that to somebody...

1 comment:

  1. My best friend here in Michigan never got a birthday card from me...but somehow I always remember and think of your birthday. Don't sell yourself short...you are an awesome friend and so much fun to be around. Why do you think I take up ALL of your time when I'm in FL?! LOL

    ReplyDelete