Monday, February 4, 2013

Sometimes it's scary living alone

The other night I was awoken at 4 am to the sound of very loud whistling/hissing.  I had no idea what it was but it sounded like it was coming from the bathroom.  So I go into my bathroom and it sounds like it's coming from the toilet.  I'm thinking either the toilet hose is about to burst or there was some kind of water line burst.  I check all the water in the house and it's all working.  But I can STILL hear the noise.  Then, all of a sudden it occurs to me that the sound is coming from outside.  So I open the garage door and walk half way around the house to where my bedroom window is and the water spigot was turned on and water is just pouring out!  I turn it off,  loudly mutter some obscenities and walk back towards the garage.

I then have the realization that I left the garage door open and someone could have snuck in my house and is now waiting inside to murder/rape me.  I surveyed the house in the dark and nothing was out of the ordinary but as I laid down to go back to sleep I couldn't shake the feeling that someone could be hiding in the house!  I call Joe at 4:20 and tell him the whole story and ask him to come over with the kids.  He says, "we're on our way!"  As I'm sitting on my bed waiting for him to show up, my neighbors motion sensor light (again, right outside my bedroom window) turns on!  Now I'm in full panic mode.  I don't hear or see anything outside but I'm absolutely terrified.  It took Joe about 10 min to get to the house but it felt like an hour.  The kids snuck into bed with me and we went to sleep.

Last night I was so scared to be in the house alone I didn't even want to sleep in my bedroom and I didn't want to turn off the TV because I was so scared of the silence.  So I laid on the couch half the night.  Notice how I said "laid" on the couch, not "slept" on the couch?  Because there was no sleeping going on.  Finally, around 3:30 I couldn't take it anymore and went to my bed.  I was so exhausted but still jumped at every tiny noise the house made.  Thank God nothing out of the ordinary happened.

I really need to get some sleep tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment