Thursday, December 9, 2010

McDonalds

I only eat out for lunch 1 or 2 times a week.  The other days I bring my lunch to work.  Off all the places I have to choose from to eat at it's not uncommon of me to actually choose to eat at Mickey D's.  And to get away from my desk and to do some people watching I usually eat there by myself.  And everytime I go there I always wonder how all these other people made the decision to eat at Mickey D's that day.  I see a little old couple eating their hamburgers and fries and think to myself "how cute.  it's probably their little tradition to come to McD's once or twice a week for lunch."  Today, a group of 4 businessmen walk in, in suits and ties.  And I wonder how they ALL came to the decision to eat at McD's.  Perhaps they are in town on biz and McD's was the closest to the building they are working in?  Maybe they were just simultaneously having a Big Mac attack?  Why do I find it so hard to believe that there are other people in the world that would actually choose to eat at McD's for lunch?  I don't know, it's just weird to me.

I have a coworker that likes McD's more than I do.  I love me some Big Macs!  I remember being on a business trip with her in San Fran.  The street that our building was on, literally, had about 30 restaurants on it.  Every kind of food you could ever crave was on this one street.  I ate at a different place every day.  But she would actually walk past every one of these restaurants to the very end of the long strip of road to the only McD's in the area.  This was probably a good 1/4 mile walk.  FOR MCDONALDS.  I just found this crazy hysterical.  I have this mentality that when I travel, (for the most part) I don't want to eat at restaurants that I could eat at at home.

As for the people watching, I listened to two people next to me complaining about a certain coworker.  Taking breaks to check their smart phones every few minutes.  Obviously, something REALLY important was going on somewhere in the world that they just had to be in the loop on.

A grey haired, long grey-bearded older man walked in wearing a mickey mouse eared Santa hat.  For reals.

A single woman next to me was completely glued to whatever boring news program was reporting boring ass news on the TV.  Probably something about WikiLeaks.  Which, I'm kind of embarassed to say I have no idea what that is about.  Or that I don't even care what it's about.

All these totally weird and random thoughts going through my mind about all these people.

Then, of course, I wondered, "what is someone thinking about me right now?"  This lady sitting there, not glued to a smart phone or pretending to watch boring news.  Just sitting there eating her food, all alone.  Taking a break from her so called life.  In total peace.  Watching the world go on around her.

What I was really thinking to myself was "I REEEEAAAALLLLYYYYY don't want to go back to that place (work)."  ~~SIGH~~

No comments:

Post a Comment