Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What it's like watching TV with my husband when he has the remote

Any show that contains a Kardashian is always a must watch for him.  So we'll watch the opening segment of this or some other ridiculously heinous show like this one.  As soon as commercial break comes he immediately switches to another channel.  God forbid we watch even 1 second of a commercial!  This channel must always consist of some sporting event that is 20+ years old or some kind of documentary show about some super fabulous athlete that is the greatest thing known to man or some horrible movie that is 20+ years old (I swear, Conan the Barbarian and/or Predator is on every.single.night on some channel) or something on MTV.  Like Cribs.  Yes, Cribs.  He doesn't even know who half the people are on Cribs.  But he has to know what their house looks like.  He'll usually change the channel if I say something like "didn't we just watch Conan last night for like the one billionth time?"  This usually starts the endless 20-second-of-viewing-something kind of surfing.  We spend so much time watching TV in the "guide" mode that I have to squint to watch what's going on in Conan as if I haven't seen it a billion times already.  Then I get fed up and announce "I'm going to bed".

His latest thing is now putting on long running shows that we have never even seen one episode of.  The other night it was Two and a Half Men.  I said, "why are we watching this?".  He said, "because it's funny!"  Really?  Is it really so funny that we have to start watching it in syndication when we've never even seen a single episode?  No, it is not.  Do you know what syndication is for?  To watch shows that you used to watch and relive the glory of how fabulous they were.  Like Friends and Seinfeld.  Not catch up on new shows that you've never seen before in absolutely no kind of order at all.

The other night he tried to put on Rock Wives.  I was having no part of that.

2 comments:

  1. C'mon Deb! Celebrity Rehab and Jersey Shore are the shiznizitt!!! xoxoxo snookie I will take anything on MTV or VH1 over WWII, Star Trek or Star Wars. I luv my boys, but mama needs some junk TV too!

    xoxoxo luv u guys---miss ya too

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Joe need to come to an understanding like Jake and I. While watching TV with Jake over the years, I've begun to incorporate "Payton TV viewing rules". I know, I know...pathetic, but it's the only way to stay sane. This is just a start to our rules, but they seem to work so far.

    1) We take turns watching our own shows. For example, Jake suddendly decided to DVR "The Larry Sanders Show" synidcations (which neither of us watched before...remind you of something??). Every time he decides that we need to watch an episode, right afterwards it's my turn to put on a show of my own choosing. I tend to pick a show that he won't typically watch with me, like Ghost Hunters. It just rubs it in. Ha!
    2) We both have to agree on the sporting event. When watching a game that we don't both agree upon, then the other person gets to make a temporary rule, like "If you are watching the Blue Jays game, then I get to watch 3 full episodes of Ghost Hunters that's been piling up on the DVR". ;-)

    Yes, there are more rules than that, but those are just examples of what you can do. If all else fails, kick his ass!!

    *I realize that once we have kids, these rules will probably go out the window. For now, we have too much time on our hands. LOL

    ReplyDelete