Monday, June 4, 2012

Automatic vs. Manual

Driving a manual is tons of fun.  Really it is.  You always feel like a race car driver.  I learned how to drive on an automatic but when I bought my first car it was a manual.  I barely knew how to drive it and was actually scared to drive it off the lot.  An ex-boyfriend taught me how to drive it.  The rest is history.  My first two cars were manuals.  I remember how weird it was when I bought my first automatic car.  And how long it took me to retrain myself to NOT push in the clutch and reach for the gear shift.  Those two actions, literally, become involuntary actions.  But, honestly, I don't think it ever fully left me.  After owning my only automatic car for 7 years, I would STILL find myself occasionally reaching for the gear shift or trying to push in the clutch.  So weird.

So when I was in the market for a new car a few months ago it never even occurred to me that I would/should/could buy another manual.  But the sales guy was walking me around and he peeked into one car and said "oh, that's a manual.  let's go look at the automatics."  Right away I thought, "OMG, a manual!?  How cool would that be to drive a manual again?!"  I was a little rusty on the test drive but it just felt so normal.  So natural.  Like it hadn't been over 7 years since I've driven one.  I love driving a manual...

However,,, it can be annoying at times.  Let's go through a few scenarios:

Approaching a red light
Automatic driver takes foot off gas and eventually puts it on brake until completely stopped.  If light happens to turn green before coming to a complete stop you have to step on the gas.

Manual driver takes foot off gas and has to downshift, downshift, downshift until completely stopped.  If light happens to turn green before coming to a complete stop you have to figure out what gear to drop into depending on how fast you're going (don't take too long to figure this out otherwise the driver behind you will beep at you for being too slow!).

Answering your phone
Automatic driver picks up phone, presses the green button and puts phone to ear.  Good job!

Manual driver picks up phone, presses the green button and puts phone to ear.  Oh, but the car in front of you is slowing down.  You need to downshift but, shoot, you don't have a free hand.  You have to hold your phone between your ear and shoulder to downshift.  Now you can't hear anything.  And, shoot, you drop your phone.  Between the seat.  Now you have to retrieve your phone.  All while actually paying attention to driving the car and trying not to kill everyone in it.  And still trying to figure out what gear you should be in.  The alternative to shifting with your right hand is reaching across your body with your left hand (while phone is in right hand) and having no hands on the steering wheel.  Hey, it happens sometimes.  This scenario also goes for trying to eat or drink anything while driving.

Stop and go traffic
Automatic driver - gas, brake, gas, brake, gas, brake, etc...

Manual driver - 1st, 2nd, yay, I made it to 3rd!, back to 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, back down to 1st, back up to 2nd,  ooh, I think I can make it back up to 3rd! - er, no etc... DO NOT try to eat/drink/answer your phone in stop and go traffic.  It WILL make you want to get out of your car and kick the driver in the car next to you.  Although, it's absolutely no fault of theirs.

The other day I was turning through a crazy deep puddle.  I had to put on my blinker, turn on my wipers and downshift to 2nd all in the same motion.  Yes, I'm that good at driving a manual.  Ha ha...

Next time you see that crazy driver on the road, consider the fact that they may not be a bad driver... maybe they're just driving a manual...


1 comment: