Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I think I'm becoming a shop-a-holic

I think about going shopping almost all the time.  If I'm not shopping in stores, I'm shopping (or at least browsing) online.  Over the past 3 weeks I've bought new pants, new purse, unmentionables, picture frames, paint and even a shower curtain (I removed those ugly glass doors and put up a nice curtain in the kids' bathroom).  Did I really need all this stuff?  Some I did, some I didn't.  I just bought some new curtains for my bedroom which I "needed".  But really, I kind of did.  I have two windows in my bedroom that I have NEVER put any window treatments on.  They face the neighbors house.  We've had neighbors on that side for over a year already.  It was time.  (and they look fabulous by the way :))

I think about leaving work at lunchtime to go shopping (because I'm bored).  I want to go shopping on weeknights when I don't have the kids (because I'm bored).  I want to go shopping on weekends when I don't have the kids (because I'm bored).  Funny, I never really want to go shopping WITH the kids.  Constantly having to tell them to "stop running", "get off the floor" and "if you break that, you're paying for it" is NOT fun.  I think it's a combination of wanting to spend money and dreading being in the house all by myself.  Now, I'm not the kind of person that doesn't like to be alone.  I like alone time just fine.  BUT, I do find myself feeling a bit of dread just knowing I'm showing up to an empty house.  Once I'm in the house, and alone, I'm fine.  I guess I'm still getting used to this part.  And shopping seems to be filling that void right now.  It's emotional shopping -- I don't have a problem (and I really do stick to my budget).  Really.  But I can def see now how people get addicted to shopping, food, gambling, etc.  It literally, fills a void and feels good no matter how destructive it is.

The actual act of shopping is not always that fun.  It's the spending money part that leads to that endorphine rush that just feels so good.  Sometimes I have a hard time deciding on what to buy.  I will stand there for 10 min contemplating what item to choose, what color to choose, argue with myself over the price, "do I really need this?".  Then I just have to walk away, distract myself with something else and go back and make a decision.  You should've seen me trying to pick a shower curtain.  Yikes.  I had to walk away about 3 times and go back.  Just too much choice!

I've decided to replace the glass shower doors in my bathroom as well.  See you next month Kohl's!  I'll miss you until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment