Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My boy is growing up

I picked Liam up from his last day of school last Thursday.  I was expecting him to be jumping around all excited that "yay, it's the last day of school!"  Instead, he's all mopey and dragging his backpack on the floor.  I ask him, "what's wrong, why aren't you excited?"  He says, I'm gonna miss school and my friends.  So I put my arm around him and tell him it will be OK.  I expected him to cheer up once we got home.  Instead, a few hours later he is still acting mopey.  I ask again, "what's wrong Liam?"  Answer, "I miss my friends and Ben isn't coming back to school next year".  Aaahhh, Ben.  Ben is his BFF he says.  Ben is moving away he says.  Liam is experiencing his first heart break, I realize.

The night goes on and I eventually put the kids to bed.  I'm brushing my teeth and in walks Liam all teary eyed and announces "I miss school and Ben".  WOW.  I don't think I've ever seen him crying over feelings for another human being before.  Ever.  He didn't even cry when we told him Joe was moving out of our house.

So we climb into my bed and I ask him if I can snuggle him.  Liam doesn't snuggle.  Now, we're snuggling and he is just sobbing crying about how much he is going to miss Ben and his school.  So we have a touching conversation about Ben and life and he tells me how much it's just so unfair sometimes.  I know kid.  It was an amazing watching-my-kid-mature-right-in-front-of-my-eyes bonding moment and I thank God I was able to be there with him and share it with him.  I don't know if I made him feel any better but I hope I did.

After he fell asleep and I was laying there I became a little sad that Joe wasn't able to be there to share in that moment.  And I became sad to know that Liam and Jill will have moments like that when I am not around and I will not be able to always be there for them.  I am will be missing out on 50% of my kids' "moments".  Liam, you don't have to tell me about how life is so unfair sometimes.  I know kid.

1 comment:

  1. That's a touching moment Debbie. At the same time, it's mind boggling that we both knew each other at your son's age and that we're now at the age where we have or can have offspring going through the same trials and tribulations we did. Do you remember Arash Lobello from our class? He was there for the first few grades and then moved away and was pretty much my best friend during that time. One summer, his family moved up to Netcong, which at the time seemed light years away and as a result, we lost touch. It wasn't until about two decades later that I found him and we reconnected and even managed to hang out again before we once again lost touch. Anyway, my suggestion is to make sure he stays in touch with Ben and not let distance be a factor in losing touch with his friend. We both know there will be many best friends to come but there's something special about those earliest of friends. =)

    ReplyDelete