Monday, February 14, 2011

Ruined Plans

You know when you have daydreams of implementing the perfect plan in your head then something happens that ruins it all?  Well, that happened last night.

The plan was supposed to be, me sneaking into the kids room early early AM Valentine's morning and placing their pillow pets next to their sleeping angel faces.  Then them running into my room totally excited screaming "Mommy, look what I got, look what I got!"  Then we, pillow pets and all, snuggle for a few minutes before we have to get up and get ready for our day.

This is what really happened.

Put the kids to bed at 8:30 pm.  I wait until I know they're totally asleep.  After Big Love, I go out to my trunk to get the pillow pets out.  Place pillow pets in a visible corner of my room.  While I'm brushing teeth, I hear Jill's pitiful crying getting closer and closer to my room.  "Oh no", I think, "she's going to totally see the pillow pets!"  I usher her to my bed trying to block her view of them.  It works.  I go back to the bathroom to finish brushing teeth.  In comes Jillian, now she has to pee.  She walks back towards the bed and notices the pillow pets.  She swings her head around to look at me with a smirk on her face.  I just say "Jilli Jill, lay down!"  Now I'm at the sink finishing brushing teeth.  A little head peeks in with a sleepy smirky face.  I tell her to lay down again.  By the time I walk into the room, there she is, snuggling the puppy.  Liam's puppy!  Ugh.  Now I have to try and convince her that she can't have that one, I got her the ladybug one.  She doesn't want to hear that.  I'm pleading, bargaining, begging.  The more I talk, the more she cries.  Ugh.  I let her sleep with the puppy.  Early in the AM I switch out the puppy with the ladybug and bring the puppy to Liam's room.  While I am placing it next to him, he wakes up and looks right at me.  Ugh.  He sees the puppy and gives me a sleepy happy smile.  I go back to my room and Jill is totally snuggling the ladybug.  Like she didn't even remember that she really wanted the puppy.  So high maintenance that one.

Then, while in the shower, two kids coming running in "Thanks for our pillow pets Mommy!"  It didn't go quite as planned but at least the end result was just as satisfying.

1 comment: