Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Valentine's Day

Normally I don't really celebrate or even like Valentine's Day.  But this year I'm actually putting an effort into it.

One of the things I noticed about myself is that I don't always go out of my way to make special occasions special.  I always put forth the effort for the kids' birthdays and major holidays but I'm really lazy when it comes to the little occasions that we should celebrate.  Or even some of the big ones.  Like Joe's birthday or my birthday or our anniversary.  In the past, I have let these occasions slip by practically unnoticed.  But no more.  I told Joe I want to change that.  I want to start celebrating the little things.  I want to feel the joy that comes when you make a big deal out of a little occasion.

I found pillow pets for 50% off at Publix today.  SCORE!  I know two little kids that will wake up Valentine's morning staring into the face of a ladybug and a puppy dog.

You know, my sister is a Jehovah's Witness and I always thought what a miserable existence it would be to never celebrate anything in your life.  What is there to look forward to in life when you don't celebrate anything?  But for too many years now I have missed so many opportunities to celebrate the little moments that can bring us so much happiness and wonderful memories.

Happy VD everyone!  Does anyone want to come to my Groundhog Day party next year?

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are taking positive steps toward restoring your affection. Good going!

    ReplyDelete