Friday, February 25, 2011

Waste of time

So I had a medical appointment yesterday and I got called back 1 1/2 hours after my scheduled appointment time.  My procedure took about 10 min.  This seems so standard these days.  Why are medical offices like this?  Don't even get me started on the not-very-helpful, major-bad-attitude girl at the front desk.  That's for another time.

I had to see my doctor about two weeks ago and I had the first appointment of the day.  9am.  Not another soul in the waiting room.  My doctor doesn't come into the room until after 9:30.  I really want to ask him "where have you been?"  But I don't.

I remember when I was pregnant with Jill my OBGYN's office was an absolute nightmare.  I had to go to a different doctor then my normal OBGYN/GYN.  And although I liked the doctor himself it was a minimum of a 2 hour wait every time I had to go.  My checkup would take about 15 min.  I remember Joe coming with me to our first ultrasound and the entire appointment took close to 4 hours.  His office was actually calling his cell phone asking him if he was coming back that day or not.  They weren't sure if he had left for the day.  This is just horrendous to me.  Why do these people think that my time is not as valuable as theirs?

I actually am pleasantly surprised when I don't have to wait 45+ min at any medical office.  My dentist and Liam's orthodontist are pretty good.  Liam had a 9:45 appointment the other day.  He got called back at 9:40 and a few minutes later he comes out.  So I discuss next steps w/ the doctor and make our next appointment.  When we are walking out the door Liam says "Mom, how long did that take?  It seemed fast."  I looked at my phone, it was 9:47.  Now that's what I'm talking about.  That's the way it should be.  I was kind of second guessing myself by choosing this office in the first place because I didn't really shop around at all.  I just went with the first opinion I got.  But seriously, when the office is run this efficiently I would pay ANY amount of money to go there.  It is so worth it.

I'm not the kind of person that likes to be late to anything.  Even though I know I have a 45+ min wait ahead of me I still feel like I need to get there on time for my appointments.  If I just showed up 45 min late then I would only have a 45 wait.  Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. I actually did say something to a doctor one time. It was after I had blood work and the office called me a few days later to tell me I need to come in to see the doctor and review the results as they could not tell me over the phone. I was so panicked that something was seriously wrong. So finally when I was able to get an appointment, I get to the office on time, I waited 40 minutes to see the doctor who then told me that my blood results looked good. I was livid and blew up at him. I told him he had a lot of nerve to scare me because they could not tell me what my test results were and I had to come in for him to tell me I was healthy. I think he was shocked that someone had the nerve to speak up. They refunded my $20 co-pay...lol

    ReplyDelete